The Pantone Color Institute has announced its color of the year for 2019—and it’s a marked change from the dark hues of last year’s Ultraviolet. The story for 2019 is vibrant, energetic, and uplifting, in the form of Living Coral (also lovingly known as Pantone 16-1546, of course).
Pantone described the shade in a press release as “an animating and life-affirming shade of orange with a golden undertone,” and went on to draw a connection between the human need for “comfort and buoyancy in our continually shifting environment” and the way that coral reefs provide shelter and food in aquatic environments. In other words: It’s tough out there right now; here’s a pretty-yet-comforting color.
So, can a color really provide comfort, solace or psychological shelter? Who knows, but either way, the fact that Pantone sees the need to keep coming back to that idea seems to say something about the current state of things.
“As we continue to seek immersive experiences that offer intimacy and genuine connection, Living Coral symbolizes our innate need for optimism and joyful, lighthearted pursuits,” Pantone said. Lord knows we could all do with a heavy dose of optimism right now, so here’s to being surrounded by Living Coral in 2019, in our homes, our wardrobes, and on our Insta feeds.
Here are seven tips on how to incorporate Living Coral into your decor.
- Consider incorporating a pop of color. Instead of having it dominate, bring in Living Coral as an accent color.
- Consider pairing Living Coral with foundation colors such as charcoal gray, white and brown.
- Introduce Living Coral through artwork, a great way to introduce the new “it” color into nearly any space.
- Target rooms that may not get much light. With its warm undertones, Living Coal can help brighten a space.
- Use accents and accessories from toss pillows to throws and rugs as a way to introduce the color.
- Purchase a statement piece in Living Coral. Whether it’s an accent chair, area rug or bold accent accessory, a statement piece can help ensure the color takes center stage.